Welcome to the "Frequently Asked Questions" section of, The Virology Portal ("the Portal"). Here you will find answers to common questions about the Portal's many tools and functions. Many of the Portal's features, such as the Brochure Builder and individual Fact Sheets, are designed specifically to help HIV service providers talk to clients about a variety of topics related to HIV disease, treatment, and care. Other features aim to help service providers find relevant information and resources specifically for them, such as service provider education and training, and locating other service providers working across the United States.
1. How do I build a client brochure? A key feature of The Virology Portal ("the Portal") is the ability to create customized, printable client brochures. This feature allows you to generate 2 types of brochures: 1) pre-selected content based on general client information that you enter (Step 2); or 2) customized content for your client using the entire library of Fact Sheets (Step 3). You may also choose to include a customized cover page (Step 1), or not. You can also preview, print, e-mail or save your brochure.
a. Step 1 – Create Cover Page: You may create a cover page with your name, agency, and contact information. These fields are automatically loaded each time you log into the Portal. You can also edit the information or choose not to include a cover page. After you've chosen a cover page option select "next" and move on to Step 2 for a pre-selected brochure or Step 3 for a customized brochure.
b. Step 2 – Suggest Brochure Content: The Brochure Builder can create a brochure of suggested content for your client based on their gender, mode of HIV transmission, age, race/ethnicity, and comorbidities. By filling out this information, the Brochure Builder will automatically pre-select suggested Fact Sheets for your client. You can choose to skip this step and manually select Fact Sheets from the Portal's content library in Step3.
c. Step 3 – Customize Your Brochure: You may create a customized brochure by selecting specific Fact Sheets that are appropriate for your client. From the full content library, simply click the box next to the Fact Sheets you wish to include.
d. Preview your brochure. The Brochure Builder generates Fact Sheets as PDFs. This allows you to preview your complete brochure, including the cover page. Once in PDF form, you may save your selections to your desktop for future use. You can also print or e-mail the brochure.
2. How do I print a brochure? After you build a brochure the Brochure Builder will give you the option to preview and print the brochure. Click "preview/print brochure" and a PDF version of your brochure will be generated. You will then have the option to print the brochure or save the PDF to your desktop.Back to Top
4. I just want to use 1 Fact Sheet. Do I have to use the Brochure Builder? A key feature of The Virology Portal ("the Portal") is its library of Fact Sheets designed to help service providers talk to clients about a variety of topics related to HIV disease, treatment, and care. Click on the "Client Tools" tab of the menu bar. Select the button to "Browse the Content Library." On the next page, a menu on the left will show you a list of specific Fact Sheets available on the Portal. The Fact Sheets are organized in specific categories. Select a category to see a list of specific Fact Sheets. When you select a Fact Sheet you will have the option to "e-mail this page" or "print this page." To use more than 1 Fact Sheet, you can create a brochure or select the option to use the Brochure Builder.Back to Top
6. How do I print a Fact Sheet? Select the Fact Sheet you are interested in. On the right side of the page, select "print this page." A PDF version of your Fact Sheet will be generated. You will then have the option to print the Fact Sheet or save the PDF version of the Fact Sheet to your desktop.Back to Top
7. How do I upload my agency's logo? A key feature of The Virology Portal ("the Portal") is the ability to create customized, printable client brochures that include a cover page with your contact information. When you register for the Portal you will have an option to upload your agency's logo to use on the cover page(s) of your customized client brochures. To do so, click on the "browse" feature on the registration page and attach a JPEG or GIF file of your agency's logo. You may also attach or update your agency logo by visiting the "My Accounts" page and following the same process.Back to Top
8. What is the CEU Tracker? The CEU Credit Tracker tool is designed to allow you to keep a record of your completed Continuing Education Units (CEU) and activities. By selecting the "Enter CEU Credit" button on the CEU Tracker page, you will be able to manually enter, save, and track of all your CEU credits and information. Follow the steps on the CEU tracker to save or view your credits. You can also select an option to find ways to earn credits.Back to Top
9. How can I locate other service providers? The Virology Portal offers a feature to allow you to find other service providers. When you first register with The Virology Portal, you are given the option to "opt in" to share your contact information with other service providers who have registered on the Portal. This forms the basis for the Portal's "Locate Other Service Providers" function, which is a database comprised only of other service providers who have also opted in for this feature. If you would like to change your opt in status, you can visit the "My Accounts" section of the Portal. If you would like other service providers to see your contact information, select the "opt in" box. If you do not want other service providers to see your contact information, deselect the "opt in" box. To use this service provider locator function, click on the "Service Providers Tools" tab of the menu bar. In the left navigation menu, select "Locate Other Service Providers." You will be able to search for service providers by city, state, agency, or zip code within the United States. The Portal uses a Google™ map function to help you locate other service providers. When your results appear, you can then add a service provider to your contacts list on the Portal by selecting "Add to My Contacts." You can also review and edit your contact list by clicking on the "View My Saved Contacts" feature.Back to Top
11. How do I find specific information on the Portal? The Virology Portal ("the Portal") provides 2 search functions: one to search for information within the Portal and another Google™ search function that allows you to search for information outside of the Portal from a selection of approximately 20 pre-determined Web content providers. These Web sites have been identified as sites that offer content that is relevant to service providers. You can find a list of these sites in the Resources section under "Suggested Sites for Additional Information." To use the Google™ search function, visit the home page and enter your search term in the Google™ line of the search menu box.Back to Top
12. How can I contact the Portal if I have questions or problems? For general questions, please send an e-mail to: email@example.com. If you have technical inquiries regarding VirologyPortal.com, please e-mail details to our Webmaster. If you discover any information on our pages which you believe to be inaccurate or outdated, please send an e-mail with details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to Top