CDC=Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; MSM=men who have sex with men; STD=sexually transmitted disease; STI=sexually transmitted infection.
- 1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Testing. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/testing.html. Accessed April 16, 2014.
- 2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National HIV and STD Testing Resources: Frequently Asked Questions. http://hivtest.cdc.gov/faq.aspx. Accessed April 16, 2014.
- 3. Kaiser Family Foundation. HIV Testing in the United States. http://kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/hiv-testing-in-the-united-states/. Accessed April 16, 2014.
Episode 4 Survey
Feedback from your peers about HIV-related stigma and discrimination:
- 1. Which of the following potential consequences of HIV-related stigma is the biggest concern for your clients?
- 80% Being shunned by family and friends
- 0% Receiving poor medical care
- 20% Discrimination in employment or housing
- 2. Which do you feel is the most important factor in contributing to HIV-related stigma?
- 11.11% Fear of a potentially life-threatening disease
- 44.44% Association of HIV with behaviors that are already stigmatized in many societies
- 0% Misunderstanding about how HIV is transmitted
- 44.44% Beliefs that suggest contracting HIV is the result of moral weakness
- 3. How big of a challenge is HIV-related stigma and discrimination for your clients?
- 62.5% It is one of the biggest challenges
- 12.5% It is a significant challenge
- 25% It is somewhat of a challenge